Are you looking to make your designs stand out in Canva?
Using custom fonts is an excellent way to add unique personality and flair.
In this comprehensive, beginner-friendly guide, you’ll learn:
- The benefits of uploading custom fonts to Canva
- Step-by-step instructions for adding fonts through Brand Kits or on the fly
- Solutions to common font upload issues
- Tips for seamlessly using your new fonts in designs
With a Canva Pro account, you can upload your favorite fonts across all your projects and marketing materials.
Let’s get started enhancing your designs with customized typography!
First, ensure you have the fonts you want to upload in file formats supported by Canva – OTF, TTF, or WOFF. If the files are zipped, unzip them.
Now, we’ll cover the two easy methods for getting those font files into Canva.
Creating a Brand Kit allows you to quickly add custom fonts that will be easily accessible for all your designs.
To add fonts through a Brand Kit:
- Go to the Brands tab and click “Create new brand” to make a new Brand Kit. Please give it a name relevant to your brand or project.
2. Under “Brand colors,” you can define the available HEX color codes.
3. Upload any brand logos you plan to use regularly.
4. Scroll down to “Brand fonts” and click “Upload font” to add your files. Make sure you have the right to use the fonts commercially.
5. Canva will ask you to confirm uploading the font is okay; select yes.
6. The font will now be available in your Brand Kit under “Uploaded fonts” for easy access later.
Add Fonts On-the-Fly
If you need a font for a specific project, you can upload it quickly as you create designs.
To add a font on the fly:
- Open a new design in Canva and insert a text element.
- Click the text to open the font menu. At the bottom is an option to “Upload font.”
- Select the font from your files, and Canva will upload it into the design.
- The font will now appear under “Uploaded fonts” in that text style menu for you to select.
This makes the font available only for the specific design rather than adding it to your complete Brand Kit.
It’s handy when you need a temporary font for one project versus permanent brand fonts. Up to 100 fonts can be uploaded this way.
Tips for Adding and Using Fonts
Adding fonts to Canva is easy, but some tips will ensure the process goes smoothly and that you can use the fonts effectively:
Troubleshooting Upload Issues
Sometimes, font uploads need to be fixed. Here’s how to fix common problems:
Unsupported Format: Canva only allows.OTF, TTF, or.WOFF fonts. If your font file is. ZIP, .OTC, .SVG or another format won’t work. You’ll need to convert it first.
Corrupted Font: If your font file got damaged somehow, Canva won’t be able to read it. Re-download a fresh copy of the font and try uploading again. This usually fixes it.
Licensing Restrictions: Canva blocks fonts that have commercial use restrictions. Make sure the license allows using the font in your designs before uploading.
Large File Size: Font files over 10MB may fail to upload. Try compressing the font using FontSquirrel to reduce the file size.
Applying and Editing Fonts
Once your font uploads, using it in designs is easy. Here’s how to apply fonts and make them look great:
Find Your Font: Your uploaded fonts will be in the text menu under “Uploaded Fonts.” Could you select one to apply it?
Adjust Text Settings: Customize the font color, size, spacing, and alignment, and add effects like shadow or underlining.
Reuse Fonts: If you need a font from an old design, re-upload it or save the design as a template to reaccess the fonts quickly.
Edit or Remove: Don’t need a font anymore? Delete or replace it right in your Brand Kit font manager.
Conclusion: Personalize Your Designs with Custom Fonts
Uploading your font files gives you creative freedom when using Canva. The fonts you choose say a lot about your brand.
With Canva Pro, you can:
- Give your designs a unique look with specialty fonts that match your style. The pre-loaded fonts are great, but nothing beats the personal touch of your fonts!
- Maintain brand consistency by saving your branded fonts in a Brand Kit for easy access. This way, your Canva designs will stay on-brand effortlessly.
- Customize fonts by changing the colors, sizes, and effects. Make your fonts stand out!
- Overcome font upload challenges quickly with the troubleshooting tips in this guide. We all run into tech issues sometimes, but now you’re equipped to handle them.
Adding custom fonts is one of the best ways to level up your design game in Canva. So, put your creative stamp on projects by uploading your favorite font files today!